November 18, 2008

Recount

When i first heard about "Recount" I didnt read the review. I just looked at the picture and found out who all were there in it. I was intrigued why stellar actors like Kevin Spacey, John Hurt, Tom Wilkinson, Laura Dern and Dennis Leary were acting in a TV movie. Okay fine, Dennis Leary is no stellar actor, i love his song "a$$hole" though. I also learnt that this was made for HBO. I knew instantly that this must be watched because a network which has shows like "Entourage" and "Californication", only produces pure gold. Remember Band of Brothers? Hell yea!

I am sure most of us have seen Fahrenheit 9/11 by Micheal Moore, in which he dissed Dubya big time. In all the accusations, he mentioned about impropreity of the elections. Well, this movie potrays the drama that unfolded post election. I, for one, knew that there was some drama but the extent of which i was unaware of.

Brilliantly made by Jay Roach, its a bit of a departure from his sort of movies. Jay Roach made AWESOME movies like Austin Powers, all 3 of em. He made Meet the Parents and Meet the Fockers. So this is a slight change.

The actors, all of em, superbly fit in their roles as Republican and Democratic Campaigners. Kevin Spacey and Tom Wilkinson have major parts which they have pulled off with awesome ease. Dennis Leary is good. Yup he is. John Hurt was cool as cucumber in his small role. Laura Dern plays Secretary of State Katherine Harris and I think she's done a brilliant job. I just researched a lil and found out that All these 4 were nominated for Emmy Awards. Recount also won the Emmy for Best Directing and Best Made for TV Movie as well as Best Editing. Truly deserving! :D

I won't talk about the story here mainly because anything i say will give away the drama. What amazed me was how in gods name Dubya made president inspite of this. At the end of the movie, they showed actual news footage from that time and the resemblance of the actors with the real people is uncanny to say the least. Also the news footage shows that the movie is a potrayal of all that unfolded in that time.

I would recommend this movie to one and all. It's funny in parts. The anguish towards the end is heartfelt. It shows how even a powerful nation like America is not perfect. Far from it. The image of America (in my head) took a nose dive last nite! Although, every time i go to the google or apple website, its hard not to admire products that have come from there!

If i had to rate this movie. I would give it **** on *****.

No comments: